The Colliery Training College (Pty) Ltd. was founded in 1965. Initially, CTC was established to cater only for the mining sector, but has diversified and artisan skills training is now available for all interested parties. The demand for artisans in South Africa is growing rapidly.
CTC is accredited by the Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) and the Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO).
A Memorandum of Understanding exists between CTC and relevant SETAs.
Any company or person interested in skills training programmes is invited to contact CTC for further information.
To meet the technical training, rescue, occupational health and hygiene requirements of Industry through:
- Consultation with Companies and SETAs regarding the training needs and training standards required.
- Ensuring a standard of training commensurate with the required productivity, skills, and ISO9001 compliancy.
- Ensuring effective training, focusing on costs, training delivery and methodology.
- Ensuring 24/7 availability of the rescue drill unit.
- Ensuring ISO 17025 compliance in terms of occupational health and hygiene services.
- Promoting Black Economic Empowerment (BEE), Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) and staff development.
Training at CTC
Students at CTC are trained in various trades:
- Auto Electrical
- Millwright / Electro Mechanician
- Fitting and Turning
- Diesel Mechanic
- Rigger Ropesman
- Earth Moving Equipment Mechanic
- Plater / Welder / Boilermaker
- Production Miner
- Mineral Processing
Students are thoroughly trained in both the theoretical and practical aspects in their course of study. Training is done on a modular/unit-standards basis, and a self-paced method of study is applied.
Additional courses are also available. Anyone wishing to improve his/her skills can also choose between all modules/unit standards available to suit their companies' or own needs.
Note: All courses are done at CTC only. Correspondence or web-based material is not available as all courses contain theoretical as well as practical tuition.